17″ Ball Screw Lathe
4 week lead time
Use the selections in the drop-down menus below to configure your machine.
(For more information on the configuration options and accessory packages please see the options tab below)
The ball screw lathe design is a reimagined version of our popular 17″ 4400-series lathe. The lathe has a new solid aluminum base, which creates a very rigid assembly, a beefed-up saddle to accommodate the ball screws, a larger 8″ crosslide, and #23 NEMA frame stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings.
Ball Leadscrew Specifications
- Rolled Ball Screw with BSH Nut
- 10mm Diameter, 2mm Lead
- C7 Accuracy*, P1 Preload
*C7 accuracy has a linear tolerance of 50 micrometers / 300mm or .002″ / 12.0″.
The ball screws are only available in metric, so the numeric graduations on the handwheel dials are 2mm per revolution and .02mm per line.
Connecting your CNC-Ready Lathe to a Controller
Once you have the machine, you will need to attach stepper motors, a CNC driver, and a CNC controller. Sherline offers the following options to connect your ball screw lathe to a CNC controller:
- Stepper motors–High-torque (P/N 67126, recommended) or standard (P/N 67127)
- CNC controllers w/4-axis CNC Driver box–MASSO (P/N 8780) or Linux CNC computer (P/N 8761)*
*NOTE: A mouse and keyboard are included with the Linux PC. You must provide a USB dongle and wireless keyboard and mouse set with the MASSO controller.
Use the selections in the drop-down menus above to configure your machine. See the Options tab above for more specifications on each option and accessory packages.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller*
- Standard headstock: #1 Morse taper with 3/4 x 16 external spindle thread (Option to upgrade headstock above)
- The base is 28″ x 5″ x 1/2″ solid 6061 aluminum plate, and the headstock and tailstock mounts are solid, machined 6061 aluminum
- The lathe saddle is hard anodized for long wear, and internal oiling ports are incorporated to keep the lathe bed dovetail areas lubricated
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 8.0″ (203 mm) crosslide
- 24″ (711 mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431 mm) between centers
- 2.5″ (63 mm) resettable “zero” handwheel for the leadscrew, one 2″ (51 mm) resettable “zero” handwheel for the crosslide feed screw, and a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the tailstock. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars*
- A 3/8″ Insert Holder Tool Post (P/N 7600) with a 55° RH Carbide Tool Holder (P/N 2256)
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Optional limit switches***
* Not included with a lathe without motor and speed control.
**CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually unless double-shaft stepper motors are installed.
***The limit switches were designed to work with our Sherline/MASSO G2 CNC Controller, but you can connect them to any controller that is configured to work with our limit switches, such as Mach 3, Mach 4, etc. See related products below for limit switch product page.
The MASSO G3 CNC controller, power supply, stepper motors, cable system and optical encoder are sold as a part of our Accu-Pro line of machines and are not available for purchase separately or as an upgrade option to existing machines.
Below are all of the configuration options for our Ball Screw Lathe. Click the More Info links on any of the products for more detailed descriptions and specifications.
Standard #1 Morse Headstock.
#1 Morse Electroless Nickel-Plated Spindle Headstock.
3C Collet Headstock.
ER-16 Collet Headstock.
Travel: 4.6″ (116 mm)
Travel: 9.25″ (234.95 mm)
Stepper Motor Options:
Standard Stepper Motors.
High-Torque Stepper Motors.
Driver Box Options:
Standard 4-Axis Linux Driver Box.
LinuxCNC Computer System with Driver Box.
- Includes the standard accessories plus
- 3.1″ 3-Jaw chuck
- 3/8″ Tailstock drill chuck
- Includes the standard accessories and Package D plus
- Live center
- Threading/Grooving carbide insert tool holder
- 60° Threading carbide insert
- .031″ Carbide grooving insert
- Rear-mount cutoff tool and holder
- Sherline 5/32″ hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book
- 3/8″ Rear-mount tool holder
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
Download PDF Assembly and Instruction Guide
Download PDF Ball Screw Lathe Video Instructions
|Swing Over Bed||5.97″ (151 mm)|
|Swing Over Carriage||1.75″ (45 mm)|
|Distance Between Centers||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole Through Spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle Nose Thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle Nose Taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle Runout of Morse Taper||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of Crosslide||4.6″ (116 mm)|
|Travel of Z-axis||14.45″ (367 mm)|
|Tailstock Spindle Taper||#0 Morse|
|Protractor Graduations||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel Graduations||.02 mm|
|Length Overall||33″ (838 mm) (Add 4.625″ to each axis for a high-torque stepper motor)|
|Width Overall||10.375″ (264 mm) (Add 4.625″ to each axis for a high-torque stepper motor)|
|Height Overall||10.00″ (254 mm)|
|Base||28″ x 5″ x .5″ (711 mm x 127 mm x 12.7 mm)|
|Shipping Weight||Base CNC-ready model: 47 lbs. (21.4 kg)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control or program controlled with the Sherline/MASSO controller|
6840 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 6840 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain, please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
Click the P/Ns below to download a zipped version of the IGS 3D CAD file. You will need to extract the zip file before viewing the files.
6840 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe 3D IGS model
You need an IGS viewer to open .igs files. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.