Our CNC benchtop lathe is perfect for the customer looking for a mini CNC lathe to make small, precision parts. All our lathes are made in the USA, and our customer service is second to none. Although our machines are small, they can produce high-quality precision parts. Our CNC lathe will not only cut wood and plastic but is also rigid and accurate enough to cut aluminum and steel parts. This lathe is a desktop-size machine with full-size machine precision and accuracy.
The CNC Benchtop Lathe Package includes:
- 17″ benchtop lathe with two stepper motors fitted to stepper motor mounts on the leadscrew and crosslide axes (The tailstock spindle remains manually controlled)
- A computer with Ubuntu Linux-based OS with LinuxCNC 4-axis CNC software installed
- Keyboard and mouse
- 4-axis driver board and power supply installed inside the computer
- Computer cables to the X- and Z-axes are 69″ in length
- Instruction and utility CD. The CD includes complete instructions, and several free utilities to translate CAD files or TrueType fonts into G-code.
- A blank, 4GB USB flash drive
- 1-year warranty on all components for non-production use. 90-day warranty on CNC and computer-related components.
You supply only a monitor.
Sherline CNC Specification Links
- Sherline CNC Specification page. See all the specs side-by-side on Sherline’s complete line of CNC Mills and CNC Lathes.
- Sherline Stepper Motor Specifications
- 4-Axis Driver Box Kit page. This driver box is sold separately. It is, however, the same driver that comes standard with every Sherline CNC computer system. Check out the Specifications tab on the page for details.
NOTE: Depending upon availability, the actual computer supplied with the system may look different than shown above.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide
- 24″ (610 mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431 mm) between centers
- 2.5″ (63 mm) resettable, zero adjustable handwheel on the leadscrew, a 2″ (51 mm) resettable, zero adjustable handwheel on the crosslide feed screw, and a 2″ (51mm) resettable, zero adjustable handwheel on the tailstock. Each handwheel has laser-engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- Rocker tool post (P/N 3057) substituted for the standard tool post used on the short-bed lathes
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, tool post, sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
NOTE: The instructions that accompany Sherline CNC systems are written primarily for use with a mill, but due to a number of requests, we have made the system available for lathe users as well. The primary consideration when using the system with a lathe is to keep in mind that movement of a tool on the crosslide axis removes material from the RADIUS of the part, resulting in two times that amount being removed from the DIAMETER.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
Download PDF Assembly and Instruction Guide
|Swing Over Bed||3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Swing Over Carriage||1.75″ (45 mm)|
|Distance Between Centers||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole Through Spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle Nose Thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle Nose Taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle Runout of Morse Taper||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of Crosslide||4.25″ (110 mm)|
|Tailstock Spindle Taper||#0 Morse|
|Protractor Graduations||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel Graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Length Overall||36.00″ (914 mm)|
|Width Overall||11.25″ (286 mm)|
|Height Overall||8.00″ (203 mm)|
|Shipping Weight||69 lb. (31.4 kg)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100 VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
|CNC stepper motor holding torque||136 oz-in|
|Maximum CNC travel speed, X and Z||22 inches/min|
8440-Series CNC Lathe
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 8440-Series CNC Lathe to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
Click the P/Ns below to download a zipped version of the IGS 3D CAD file. You will need to extract the zip file before viewing the files.
8440 Series 17″ CNC Lathe w/Stepper Motors 3D IGS model
You need an IGS viewer to open .igs files. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
|4000 (4100)||4400 (4410)|
|Swing over bed||3.50″ (90 mm)||3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Swing over carriage||1.75″ (44.5 mm)||1.75″ (44.5 mm)|
|Distance between centers||8.00″ (200 mm)||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4-16 T.P.I.||3/4-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||0005″ or less||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of crosslide||4.25″ (110 mm)||4.25″ (110 mm)|
|Tailstock spindle taper||#0 Morse||#0 Morse|
|Tailstock spindle travel||1.75″ (44.5 mm)||1.75″ (44.5 mm)|
|Protractor graduations||0° to 45° by 5°||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel graduations||001″ (.01 mm)||001″ (.01 mm)|
|Handwheel type||Standard Handwheels||Zero Adjustable Handwheels (With the exception of DRO machines which come with DRO handwheels)|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Length overall||23″ (584 mm)||32.5″ (826 mm)|
|Width overall||10.25″ (260 mm)||10.55″ (267 mm)|
|Height overall||8″ (203 mm)||8.5″ (216 mm)|
|Shipping weight||24 lb. (10.9 kg)||30 lb. (13.6 kg)|
|Input voltage||100 to 240 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz|
|Output to motor||90 VDC|
|Current draw||.5 to 15 amps depending on load|
|No-load output shaft speed||6000 RPM (no pulley)|
|Click here for more detailed specs|
|Spindle End play (factory
adjustment of preload)
|.0002″ (.005 mm) or less, normal pulleys|
|Runout at nose||.0005″ (0.013 mm) or less|
|Bearings||Two 20 mm lifetime lubricated ball bearings with adjustable preload|
The MASSO G3 CNC controller, power supply, stepper motors, cable system and optical encoder are sold as a part of our Accu-Pro line of machines and are not available for purchase separately or as an upgrade option to existing machines.