14″ Benchtop Mill w/Ball Screws – CNC-Ready
Jump to product information
4 week lead time
About the 14″ Base CNC-Ready Mill with Ball Screws
This machine is based on our 14″ 2000-series mill. The 14″ mill base with ball screws comes with all new saddles developed for the ball screws, and #23 NEMA frame stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings.
The X/Y-mill saddle has been beefed up to accommodate the larger ball screws, and it has an electroless nickel/Teflon coating. This coating offers a hard surface that is rustproof, while the Teflon provides a friction coefficient of .1-.2u for smoother movement of the saddle and the table.
The new ball screw design for the column saddle reduces the overall Z-axis travel by 1.4″. Because the ball nut does not allow the column saddle to move down as far as the old style column saddle, we recommend upgrading to the 15″ mill column. This will allow you to move the headstock closer to the top of the mill table. However, you will still lose 1.4″ of overall travel in the Z-axis.
The Z-axis column bed on the 14″ ball screw mill is mounted directly to the swing arm with an arm mount, unlike the 2000 Deluxe mill that utilizes a movable clamping disk. This effectively eliminates the side-to-side rotational axis of the column bed.
The Axes of Movement of a Sherline 14″ Ball Screw Mill
The table left/right movement is referred to as the X-axis. The table in/out movement is the Y-axis. Headstock up/down movement is referred to as the Z axis. The headstock can also be rotated on its saddle on Sherline mills (#4), the column ram can be moved in and out (#5), and the Z-axis column can be tilted forward and back (#6).
- Rolled Ball Screw with BSH Nut
- 10mm Diameter, 2mm Lead
- C7 Accuracy*, P1 Preload
*C7 accuracy has a linear tolerance of 50 micrometers / 300mm or .002″ / 12.0″.
The ball screws are only available in metric, so the numeric graduations on the handwheel dials are 2mm per revolution and .02mm per line.
Standard equipment for the model 6820 CNC-ready mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 14″ base
- Electroless nickel/Teflon coated mill saddle
- 13.0″ (330 mm) x 2.75″ (70 mm) table with two T-slots
- 11″ standard mill column bed (Option to upgrade to a 15″ mill column bed with nickel/Teflon coating is available)
- Stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually unless double-shaft stepper motors are installed.
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z-axis to help keep critical parts lubricated.
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
- Accordion way cover
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
Download PDF Assembly and Instruction Guide
Download PDF 6820 Exploded View
Download PDF Ball Screw Mill Unpacking and Assembly Notice
Download PDF Instructions for Sherline Limit Switches and Mounts
Download PDF 5920/5958 Ball Screw Way Cover Instructions
(table to spindle)
|7.875″ (200 mm)|
(w/ headstock spacer)
|Travel, “X” Axis||7.8” (198.1 mm)|
|Travel, “Y” Axis||7.00″ (178 mm); 4.9″ (124 mm) with optional tooling plate attached|
|Travel, “Z” Axis||Standard 11″ bed: 5.25″ (133 mm); Optional 15″ bed 9.25″ (235 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||.0005″ or less|
|Handwheel graduations||.02 mm|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Width Overall||15.375″ (340 mm)|
|Depth Overall||Base footprint: 17.125″ (435 mm); With fully extended brass leadscrew cover: 21.125 (536.6 mm)|
|Height Overall (Max.)||Standard 11″ bed: 20.75″ (527 mm); Optional 15″ bed: 24.75″ (629 mm)|
|Table size||2.75″ x 13.00″ (70 x 330 mm)|
|Hold-down provision||2 T-Slots|
|Shipping Weight||66 lb. (30 kg)|
|Movements in addition
to X-, Y- and Z-axes
|Headstock rotation (90° left/right), Column pivot (90° Fwd/Bk), Column travel (In/Out) 5.5″ (140 mm)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|