This lathe has 17″ between centers. The electronic speed control allows continuously variable speed control from 70 to 2800 RPM without belt changes. There is a second pulley position available that offers extra torque at low RPM if needed.
Many machinists find that the extra space between centers comes in handy when working with a part held in a chuck and a larger tailstock chuck with a long drill bit in place. The combination of chucks, part and drill can eat up a lot of the available center-to-center distance, and a little extra capacity is often appreciated. This lathe offers the same diameter turning capacities as the shorter lathe and same powerful motor/speed control. The differences are both the extra 9″ of center distance and the addition of extras like the adjustable zero handwheels and rocker toolpost, making this lathe a good value for the extra cost.
Standard equipment for the lathe includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide
- 24″ (610mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431mm) between centers
- 2.5″ (63mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the leadscrew, a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the crosslide feed screw, and a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the tailstock. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- Rocker tool post substituted for the standard tool post used on the shortbed lathes
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, tool post, sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
The A Package Includes:
- 3.1″ 3-jaw self-centering chuck
- 3/8″ tailstock drill chuck w/ key, #0 Morse arbor, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
Other ordering options:
Similar to the XYZ bases for our mills, you can now order the lathe without the headstock, motor, or speed control. Please see the selections in the drop-down menu above.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
|Swing Over Bed||3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Swing Over Carriage||1.75″ (45 mm)|
|Distance Between Centers||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole Through Spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle Nose Thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle Nose Taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle Runout of Morse Taper||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of Crosslide||4.25″ (110 mm)|
|Tailstock Spindle Taper||#0 Morse|
|Protractor Graduations||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel Graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Length Overall||32.5″ (826 mm)|
|Width Overall||8.00″ (267 mm)|
|Height Overall||8.00″ (216 mm)|
|Shipping Weight||31 lb. (14.1 kg)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
4000 and 4400 Series Manual Lathes
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 4000 and 4400 Series Manual Lathes to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need an STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a single .rar file to save file space. Click on the .rar file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .rar file to the drive location of your choice.
- If your system cannot decompress RAR files, CLICK HERE to download WinRAR software.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
4400 Series 17″ Lathe
CLICK HERE to download the 3D RAR file.
4400 Series 17″ Lathe w/1041 3-Jaw Chuck
CLICK HERE to download the 3D RAR file.
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 11 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 2-3 working days for domestic orders and 4-5 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.
If you’re working with brass or wood we suggest you use the toggle switch dust cover to protect the life of your motor & speed control
Tailstock Riser Block
For those customers interested in turning larger diameters between centers, the Tailstock Riser Block will raise the tailstock to correspond with the riser block kit, allowing you an additional 1-1/4″ (31.7 mm) of clearance. The Tailstock Riser Block has a … Continued