About the Lever Collet Closer
Anyone doing repetitive lathe operations on small parts will find this new accessory saves a lot of time when holding parts into a WW collet. Instead of loosening and re-tightening the drawbar each time a part is inserted, you make that adjustment just one time with this closer. After that, the collet is released and re-tightened simply by pushing a lever back and forth. Moving the lever to the right releases the part from the collet, a new part is inserted, and the lever is moved back to the left to lock the part in the collet. Hardened steel components assure long life.
Long stock up to 3/16″ in diameter can be held through the WW collets and spindle. Larger parts up to 5/16″ or 8 mm can be held in the face of the collet, and collet pot chucks are available for even larger parts up to 1″ diameter.
NOTE: The Lever Collet Closer and 3C Lever Collet Closer were designed to be used with our standard pulley set, which has a maximum RPM of 2,800. It will work with the 10,000 RPM pulley set; however, the parts are going to wear faster, and any vibration that is in the yoke is going to be increased.
- Easy to install—just tap one existing 4-40 hole in the spindle if not already tapped for threading attachment (self-tapping screw included)
- Wear parts are made from A2 hardened steel, the yoke is made from 1018 steel and ball carrier, and other parts are made from brass and 12L14 steel
- Long stock up to 3/16″ in diameter can be passed all the way through the spindle and collet
- Larger parts can be held with WW collets up to 8 mm (3/8″) or in a custom-machined WW pot chuck
- Includes a 3/8″ knockout bar plus a special #1 Morse to WW collet adapter with a pin to engage the keyway in the collet to prevent rotation
- As usual, installation and operation are covered in the thorough, illustrated instructions that come with it
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Lever Collet Closer ships with a mounting base. However, you will need to select the proper mounting base for your needs when placing your order.
- P/N 11520—Standard lathe mounting base to a #1 Morse headstock (4000 and 4400 models)
- P/N 11523C—Chucker lathe mounting base to a #1 Morse headstock (6600 models)
Troubleshooting Interference between the LCC and the Plastic Belt Guard
You might find possible interference issues between the LCC and the plastic belt guard. If the belt guard interferes with the pin on the LCC yoke make a small cut-out in the guard (see image for reference). This can be done with an X-acto® knife or Dremel® Tool. Please note that if you have a DRO Tac Sensor, it will not work with the LCC. Click the “Instructions” tab to download a PDF version of the instructions.
See Cary Millsap’s Tip #75 on how to install a removable tach sensor.