About the 3C Lever Collet Closer
Anyone doing repetitive lathe operations on small parts will find this new accessory saves a lot of time when holding parts in a 3C collet. Instead of loosening and retightening the drawbar each time a part is inserted, you make that adjustment just one time with this closer. After that, the collet is released and retightened simply by pushing a lever back and forth. Moving the lever to the right releases the part from the collet, a new part is inserted, and the lever is moved back to the left to lock the part in the collet.
Long stock up to 1/2″ in diameter can be held through the 3C collets and spindle. Larger parts can be held in one of our 3- or 4-jaw chucks with the use of our chuck adapter (P/N 10670).
With the addition of the 3C Lever Collet Closer, our customers are one step closer to full automation of their 3C collet headstock. We used the same tried and proven design as our 1150 Lever Collet Closer, along with the same high-grade materials and hardened steel parts. This is a very well-designed accessory and very durable. It will give our customers years of trouble-free, dependable use.
NOTE: The Standard Lever Collet Closer and 3C Lever Collet Closer were designed to be used with our standard pulley set, which has a maximum RPM of 2,800. It will work with the 10,000 RPM pulley set; however, the parts are going to wear faster, and any vibration that is in the yoke is going to be increased.
- Easy to install—Remove the end piece from your 3C headstock spindle and replace it with the spindle mount sleeve. Use the 5-40 x 1/8″ set screw to keep the part from threading off during use. Note: Just tighten the set screw until it is snug, DO NOT over-tighten it.
- Using the screws that are supplied, mount the base to the 3C headstock riser block or to your Sherline Lathe base.
- Installation and operation are covered in the thorough, illustrated instructions that come with this accessory.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The 3C Lever Collet Closer ships with a mounting base. However, you will need to select the proper mounting base for your needs when placing your order.
- P/N 11520C—Standard lathe mounting base to a 3C headstock (4000 and 4400 models)
- P/N 11521C—Chucker lathe mounting base to a 3C headstock (6600 models)
See Cary Millsap’s Tip #75 on how to install a removable tach sensor.
NOTE: We have plans to manufacture and offer a bar feed system to our 3C headstock. In the meantime, our 3C headstock already has two 10-32 holes machined into the top of it (see Figure 2) for the addition of a pneumatic cylinder in order to fully automate our 3C lever collet closer.