3.1″ 3-Jaw Chuck – Electroless Teflon Nickel Coated
This chuck is identical to #1040 except for an electroless Nickel-Teflon coating that has been applied to help prevent wear and corrosion. This special coating has been applied to all external and internal surfaces of the chuck (except for chuck jaws), significantly improving the life of the chuck. This chuck also opens and closes more smoothly due to the lubrication properties of Nickel-Teflon.
- Ductile plating with columnar structure
- Harder than any other nickel-based coating
- Coating uniformity that eliminates post-plate grinding (or burnishing)
- Wear properties overall superior to hard chromium
- Hardness (68-72 Rc)
- Low coefficient of friction (.044) Teflon™ is .04
- Uniform coating thickness up to .004”
- Accepts dry film lubricants
- For those who have jobs where speed and ease of use are more important than maximum accuracy and want a chuck that is loose right from the start (No extra charge).
Add the note “loose jaws” to the comments box above
- Soft (not hardened or machined) steel jaws are also available when you build your own chuck.
How to Distinguish between Standard Chucks and Coated Chucks
Some of our customers have been wondering how to tell the difference between our standard chucks and those that have the electroless Nickel-Teflon coating. Standard chucks have darker markings than the coated chucks (See Figure 1. Click on photo to view a larger image).
Here, at Sherline Products, each of our chucks is laser engraved with a company mark, chuck size, and jaw location. During the laser marking process the laser removes a bit of the surface and darkens the material below (Figure 1, left). When chucks are sent out to receive the Nickel-Teflon finish the coating process changes the dark engraved markings to a noticeably lighter finish (Figure 1, right).
There is also a subtle change in the color of the chuck, but in the absence of being able to compare them side by side, the most evident way to tell whether you have a coated chuck, or not, is to check the color of the laser markings.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
|Jaw Capacity||With jaws in normal position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 1-1/2″ (38mm)
With jaws in reverse position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 2-3/4″ (70mm)
|Through Hole Diameter||.687″ (17mm)|
|Chuck Body Material||12L14 Steel|
|Chuck Jaws Material||12L14 Case Hardened Steel|
|Coating (#1040C only)||Electroless Nickel-Teflon (#1040C only)|
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files, you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files, you need an STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a single .rar file to save file space. Click on the .rar file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .rar file to the drive location of your choice.
- If your system cannot decompress RAR files, CLICK HERE to download WinRAR software.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
1040 3.1″ 3-Jaw Chuck
CLICK HERE to download the 3D RAR file.
|10401C||3.1″ 3 Jaw Chuck Body Electroless Nickel-Teflon Coated||1|
|10402C||3.1″ Chuck Scroll Electroless Nickel-Teflon Coated||1|
|10413||Chuck Retainer Ring||1|
|10414||3 Jaw Chuck Jaw*||3|
*Because chuck jaws are factory ground to precisely match each chuck body you must send your chuck back to us to be fitted with new jaws. Please contact us for instructions on how to return your chuck.
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 9 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 7 working days for domestic orders and 14 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.