The 5000-series mills are Sherline’s most economical mills and would be a good starting point for any miniature machine shop. They feature a solid 10″ (254mm) aluminum base, precision machined dovetailed slides with adjustable gibs, permanently lubricated spindle bearings, adjustable preload anti-backlash feed screws on the X- and Y-axes, two 1-5/8″ (41mm) laser engraved aluminum handwheels, one 2-1/2″ (63mm) laser engraved handwheel with thrust bearings, and many other features found only on the best commercial machines.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 10″ base
- Standard 1-5/8″ (41mm) handwheels on the X- and Y-axes, and one 2-1/2″ (63mm) with thrust bearings on the Z-axis. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
New Mill Features
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
(table to spindle)
|8.00″ (203 mm)|
(w/ headstock spacer)
|Travel, “X” Axis||8.65″ (220 mm)|
|Travel, “Y” Axis||3.00″ (76 mm)|
|Travel, “Z” Axis||6.25″ (159 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||.0005″ or less|
|Handwheel graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Width Overall*||14.75″ (375 mm)|
|Depth Overall*||Base footprint: 11.625″ (295 mm); With fully extended brass leadscrew cover: 12.375″ (314 mm)|
|Height Overall (Max.)*||20.75″ (527 mm)|
|Table size||2.75″ x 13.00″ (70 x 330 mm)|
|Hold-down provision||2 T-Slots|
|Shipping Weight||30 lb. (13.6 kg)td>|
|Movements in addition
to X-, Y- and Z-axes
|Headstock rotation (90° left/right)|
|Column rotation||(90° left/right)|
|Column pivot||(90° forward/back)|
|Column swing||(90° left/right)|
|Column travel||(in/out) 5.5″ (140 mm)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
*Overall dimensions include motor and speed control
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 5000 and 5400 Series Manual Mills to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need a STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a .zip file to save file space. Click on the .zip file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .zip file to the drive location of your choice.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 11 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 2-3 working days for domestic orders and 4-5 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.
Vertical Mill Vinyl Dust Covers
Fitted 6-mil vinyl dust covers are available for the two different size mills. They extend the life of your machine and keep it looking like new by keeping it clean and dust-free when not in use. P/N 5150 fits both … Continued