17″ CNC Lathe System Package C
- Lathe with two stepper motors fitted to stepper motor mounts on the leadscrew and crosslide axes (The tailstock spindle remains manually controlled)
- A computer with Ubuntu Linux-based OS with linuxcnc 4-axis CNC software preinstalled
- Keyboard and mouse
- 4-axis driver board and power supply installed inside the computer
- Instruction and utility CD. The CD includes complete instructions, and several free utilities to translate CAD files or TrueType fonts into G-code.
- A blank 4GB USB flash drive is also included
- 1-year warranty on all components for non-production use. 90-day warranty on CNC and computer-related components.
You supply only a monitor.
Standard equipment for the lathe includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide
- 24″ (610mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431mm) between centers
- Rocker tool post (P/N 3057) substituted for the standard tool post used on the short-bed lathes
- 2.5″ (63mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the leadscrew, a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the crosslide feed screw, and a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the tailstock. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, tool post, sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
The C package includes:
- 3.1″ 3-jaw self-centering chuck
- 3/8″ tailstock drill chuck w/ key, #0 Morse arbor, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Steady rest
- Live Center
- Compound Slide
- Rear Mount Cutoff Tool and Holder
- 3-pc 1/4″ HSS Cutting Tool Set (LH, RH, Boring)
- 5/32″ T-driver
- 3-pc Center Drill Set
- Thread Cutting Attachment
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide Book
NOTE: The instructions that accompany Sherline CNC systems are written primarily for use with a mill, but due to a number of requests, we have made the system available for lathe users as well. The primary consideration when using the system with a lathe is to keep in mind that movement of a tool on the crosslide axis removes material from the RADIUS of the part, resulting in two times that amount being removed from the DIAMETER.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
|Swing Over Bed||3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Swing Over Carriage||1.75″ (45 mm)|
|Distance Between Centers||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole Through Spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle Nose Thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle Nose Taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle Runout of Morse Taper||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of Crosslide||4.25″ (110 mm)|
|Tailstock Spindle Taper||#0 Morse|
|Protractor Graduations||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel Graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Length Overall||36.00″ (914 mm)|
|Width Overall||11.25″ (286 mm)|
|Height Overall||8.00″ (203 mm)|
|Shipping Weight||69 lb. (31.4 kg)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100 VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
|CNC stepper motor holding torque||136 oz-in|
|Maximum CNC travel speed, X and Z||22 inches/min|
8440-Series CNC Lathe
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 8440-Series CNC Lathe to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need an STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a single .rar file to save file space. Click on the .rar file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .rar file to the drive location of your choice.
- If your system cannot decompress RAR files, CLICK HERE to download WinRAR software.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
CLICK HERE to download the 3D RAR files
|4000 (4100)||4400 (4410)|
|Swing over bed||3.50″ (90 mm)||3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Swing over carriage||1.75″ (44.5 mm)||1.75″ (44.5 mm)|
|Distance between centers||8.00″ (200 mm)||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4-16 T.P.I.||3/4-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||0005″ or less||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of crosslide||4.25″ (110 mm)||4.25″ (110 mm)|
|Tailstock spindle taper||#0 Morse||#0 Morse|
|Tailstock spindle travel||1.75″ (44.5 mm)||1.75″ (44.5 mm)|
|Protractor graduations||0° to 45° by 5°||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel graduations||001″ (.01 mm)||001″ (.01 mm)|
|Handwheel type||Standard Handwheels||Zero Adjustable Handwheels (With the exception of DRO machines which come with DRO handwheels)|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Length overall||23″ (584 mm)||32.5″ (826 mm)|
|Width overall||10.25″ (260 mm)||10.55″ (267 mm)|
|Height overall||8″ (203 mm)||8.5″ (216 mm)|
|Shipping weight||24 lb. (10.9 kg)||30 lb. (13.6 kg)|
|Input voltage||100 to 240 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz|
|Output to motor||90 VDC|
|Current draw||.5 to 15 amps depending on load|
|No-load output shaft speed||6000 RPM (no pulley)|
|Click here for more detailed specs|
|Spindle End play (factory
adjustment of preload)
|.0002″ (.005 mm) or less, normal pulleys|
|Runout at nose||.0005″ (0.013 mm) or less|
|Bearings||Two 20 mm lifetime lubricated ball bearings with adjustable preload|
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 9 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 7 working days for domestic orders and 14 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.