About the Sherline 4″ Rotary Table
A rotary table used in conjunction with a mill allows a machinist to produce virtually any part they can design. Sherline’s rotary table is a precision piece of equipment that has been designed to work with their vertical milling machines, however, it can be used on any mill whenever the small 4-inch size would be an advantage. The only limits are size, not complexity.
The table is 2″ high and 4″ (100mm) in diameter. The main components have been machined from solid bar stock steel, and the complete unit weighs seven pounds. The table has been engraved with a laser, giving sharp and precise lines every 5°, numbered every 15°. These lines are calibrated with the 72-tooth worm gear that is driven by the handwheel. The handwheel is divided into 50 parts, making each line on the handwheel 1/10°. This allows a circle to be divided into 3600 increments without interpolation. Seventy-two revolutions of the handwheel rotate the table one revolution.
NOTE: We are stating the following weight limits for our rotary tables for continual use.
- Horizontal orientation—50 lbs.
- Vertical orientation—30 lbs.
- Vertical rotational torque—6 foot/lbs. (meaning it can lift a 6 lb. weight when suspended 12″ away from the center of the rotary table)
The rotary tables can hold more weight when they are not under a continuous load. Click on the Video tab above to see examples of different weights and uses for our rotary tables.
The table T-slots are identical to those used on the Sherline mill and lathe, making the vast line of Sherline tooling available for use with this product. Two hold-down clamps and T-nuts are provided with the table. Also included is an adapter that allows Sherline’s 3- and 4-jaw chucks to be screwed directly to the rotary table. An optional right angle attachment is available (P/N 3701) to mount the table in the vertical position to further increase its versatility. With the table mounted vertically, an optional adjustable right angle tailstock (P/N 3702) can be mounted to the mill table. It is used to support and stabilize the other end of long work held in a chuck or otherwise attached to the rotary table.
The rotary table has a unique table locking mechanism that is positive and does not move the table as it is locked. To maintain accuracy and frictionless movements, ball bearings are used. Worm gears are factory greased and the drives sealed to keep out chips and dirt. An oiler is easily accessible to facilitate lubrication of the table. The appearance is instrument quality with a black oxide base, precision ground finishes, and laser engraved markings.
As with all Sherline tools, the illustrated instructions are very useful. The 8-page manual covers the basics of rotary table use and takes the user through a typical project.
Any machinist desiring to take his capabilities to the ultimate levels should consider purchasing and learning to use a rotary table. The Sherline rotary table is an extremely precise and well-built piece of equipment that is sized to fit with our product line. It can also be useful on larger equipment when its compact size is called for.
NOTE: Because components of the table are ground as a set during production, the manual rotary table cannot be upgraded to the CNC version later on. A new rotary table with stepper motor worm housing must be purchased.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
CNC Rotary Table in Action
|35580||Hold Down Clamp|
|37100||Rotary Table Base|
|37200||Button Head Screw, 10-32 X 3/8″|
|37210||Hold Down Tab|
|37220||Button Head Screw, 6-32 X 1/4″|
|40330||SHC Screw, 10-32 X 5/8″|
|40510||SHC Screw, 10-32 X 3/8″|
|40520||Cup Point Set Screw, 10-32 X 3/16″|
|40540||Cone Pt Set Screw, 5/16-18 X 3/4″|
|40660||Washer, 3/16″ I.D.|
|40670||SHC Screw, 10-32 X 1/2″|
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need a STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a .zip file to save file space. Click on the .zip file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .zip file to the drive location of your choice.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.