Upgraded DRO Chip
Beginning August 1st, 2021, all DROs will ship with an upgraded chip. This new chip upgrade allows our Digital Readout to function with our ball screw machines as well as our standard leadscrew machines. We also programmed some upgrades based on customer feedback, like using Metric on Inch machines and using Inch on Metric machines.
The new DRO chip has six different modes to choose from based on the machine type, e.g., mill, lathe, leadscrew, or ball screw, and your preference of either inch or metric display on the DRO.
For more detailed information on setting up the modes for DRO, please see the DRO Mode Instructions.
About the Sherline DRO Deluxe Tabletop Mill
Our DRO tabletop mill ships with a digital readout box and special handwheels with built-in electronic encoders that replace the standard handwheels. (The standard handwheels are not included when ordering the DRO option.) These special DRO handwheels are connected to the electronic readout box that translates the handwheel movement into a display of table travel for each of the three axes of movement. The readout for any axis can be reset to zero at any time with the push of a button. Spindle RPM is also constantly displayed on the DRO box whenever the motor is running. The readout can be fitted to either inch or metric machines.
Our DRO tabletop mill is perfect for the customer looking for a mini DRO milling machine to make small, precision parts. All our milling machines are made in the USA, and our customer service is second to none. Although our machines are small, they can produce high-quality precision parts. Our DRO mill will not only cut wood and plastic but is also rigid and accurate enough to cut aluminum and steel parts. This mill is a desktop-size machine with full-size machine precision and accuracy.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
The display shows the position of each axis in relation to a zero point that you establish. Inch versions show position to three and a half decimal places or to within .0005″. Metric versions show position to within .01 mm. Backlash can be electronically eliminated by setting its measured value into the readout box for each axis. When handwheel rotation changes direction, the backlash value is electronically subtracted before the readout counts in the other direction.
The ease with which distance and direction can be kept track of with this system will add a new level of enjoyment to your machining. It also helps eliminate some of the tedious jobs of keeping track of handwheel revolutions and thereby helps eliminate errors.
NOTE: The display unit does not translate dimensions from inch to metric. It must be initialized to work with the pitch of the leadscrew to which the handwheel is attached.
220-240 Volt Electrical Current
The DRO power supply automatically switches from 120V to 240V for countries with 220-240 volt electrical current. You may need to use a wall socket adapter if you use the power supply in a country outside North America.
Standard equipment for the DRO Deluxe Tabletop Mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 12″ base
- Digital readout box with LCD display, RPM sensor, power supply, cables, stand, and all necessary mounting hardware. No hole drilling is required to mount.
- Special handwheels are supplied with DRO machines. These handwheels can be reset to zero electronically with the push of a button on the DRO display box. Sherline DRO mills are outfitted with the special DRO 2″ (51mm) handwheels on the Y-axis leadscrew and X-axis table feed screw and a 2.5″ handwheel on the Z-axis vertical feed screw. Each handwheel has laser-engraved aluminum handwheel collars.
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Headstock spacer block
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y and Z axes help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that constantly run for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
The A Package includes:
- Step block hold-down set
- 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set (P/N 7401 4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3/8″ end mill holder
- Milling vise
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book