About the External Encoder for Acorn CNC Control
The External Encoder works with the Sherline/Acorn CNC Controller with a spindle control isolator board. Customers interested in a controller upgrade for their current CNC machine and already have a Sherline Linux PC or a 4-axis driver box need to purchase the external encoder that fits their headstock (standard M1 or 3C). Select your headstock pulley option in the dropdown menu above.
Headstock Pulley Options
- P/N 9402 – For use with the standard Morse #1 headstock. The main spindle pulley has one high-speed pulley groove and can be used with the Standard Lever Collet Closer.
- P/N 9404 – For use with the 3C headstock. The main spindle pulley has high-speed and low-speed (high-torque) pulley grooves and can be used with the 3C Lever Collet Closer.
- P/N 9406 – For use with the standard Morse #1 headstock. The main spindle pulley has high-speed and low-speed (high-torque) pulley grooves. However, it cannot be used with a Lever Collet Closer.
Ordering the Encoder Mounting Kit without an Encoder
You can order the Encoder Mounting Kit and Pulleys without an encoder if you prefer to supply your own encoder. Just select “None” in the Encoder Option dropdown menu above.
For customers supplying their own encoder, there are two parts to consider.
- P/N 67112 – Encoder Mounting Plate. This part is designed to work with the encoder that we supply. Below is a downloadable PDF showing the mounting hole dimensions. If your encoder has different mounting holes, you will need to either modify our mounting plate or make your own.
Download the 67112 Encoder Mounting Plate Diagram
- P/N 67113 – Encoder to Cog Pulley Shaft Adapter. Our encoder has a 6 mm diameter shaft. If your encoder shaft is a different size, then you will either need to modify our part or make your own.