The deluxe 8-direction milling machine offers the most versatility of any Sherline mill. In addition to the X-, Y-, and Z-axes of travel, there are five additional directions that the headstock spindle can be positioned to do drilling or milling on your part from virtually any angle. The headstock can pivot up to 90° in either direction. The column bed can be rotated side-to-side up to 90° in either direction for angled drilling. A special knuckle allows the column to be pivoted front to rear. The “ram” design of the column base also allows the entire ram to be pivoted up to 90° side-to-side. Loosening the column cap allows the ram to be moved in and out with over 5.5″ of travel.
With this many directions of movement, the machining possibilities are virtually limitless within the size capabilities of the machine. The 14″ long base also increases Y-axis travel by an additional 2″ compared to the Model 5400 mill. This is the milling machine for those who want to take their miniature machining abilities to the extreme.
Our 8-direction benchtop mill is perfect for the customer looking for a mini milling machine to make small, precision parts. All our milling machines are made in the USA, and our customer service is second to none. Although our machines are small, they can produce high-quality precision parts. Our 14″ benchtop mill will not only cut wood and plastic but is also rigid and accurate enough to cut aluminum and steel parts. This mini mill is a desktop-size machine with full-size machine precision and accuracy.
Notes on ordering a metric mill
Most of our cutting tools, like center drills, are manufactured in a fractional size. If you have a metric machine with metric holders, like collets or end mill holders, you will need to order fractional holders to accommodate our cutting tools.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 14″ base
- 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- 2″ column riser block
- Laser-engraved scales on the base and table
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
The A Package Includes:
- Step block hold-down set
- 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set (P/N 7401 4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3/8″ end mill holder
- Milling vise
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide