The CNC Package Includes:
- NexGen mill fitted with saddle oiler, stepper motor mounts and couplers on X-, Y- and Z-axes
- A computer with Ubuntu Linux-based OS with LinuxCNC 4-axis CNC software preinstalled
- Keyboard and mouse
- 4-axis driver board and power supply installed inside the computer
- Computer cables to the X-, Y-, and Z-axes are 69″ in length
- Instruction and utility CD. The CD includes complete instructions, and several free utilities to translate CAD files or TrueType fonts into G-code.
- A blank 4GB USB flash drive
- 1-year warranty on all components for non-production use. 90-day warranty on CNC and computer-related components.
You supply only a monitor.
A Package Accessories Include:
- Step block hold-down set
- 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3-piece center drill set
- Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set
(4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3/8″ end mill holder
- Milling vise
- Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book
Standard equipment for the mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 18″ mill base with Y-axis leadscrew protection
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 18.0″ (457 mm) extended mill table with two T-slots
- 7″ x 13″ tooling plate
- 15″ (63mm) extended column bed
- Extra-rigid column base
- 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels are mounted on each of the stepper motors
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Oil reservoirs on the X-, Y- and Z-axes
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
Sherline CNC Specification Links
- Sherline CNC Specification page. See all the specs side-by-side on Sherline’s complete line of CNC Mills and CNC Lathes.
- Sherline Stepper Motor Specifications
- 4-Axis Driver Box Kit page. This driver box is sold separately. It is, however, the same driver that comes standard with every Sherline CNC computer system. Check out the Specifications tab on the page for details.
NOTE: Depending upon availability, actual computer supplied with the system may look different than shown above.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need an STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a single .rar file to save file space. Click on the .rar file link(s) below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .rar file to the drive location of your choice.
- If your system cannot decompress RAR files, CLICK HERE to download WinRAR software.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
8580 Ball Screw Mill w/Stepper Motors
(table to spindle)
|14.00″ (356 mm)|
(w/ headstock spacer)
|Travel, “X” Axis||13.65″ (347 mm)|
|Travel, “Y” Axis||11 ″ (279 mm); 8.9″ (226 mm) with tooling plate attached|
|Travel, “Z” Axis||5.38″ (137 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse|
|Handwheel graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Width Overall||20.00 (508 mm)|
|Depth Overall||Base footprint: 24.375″ (524 mm); With fully extended brass leadscrew cover: 31.625″ (803 mm)|
|Height Overall (Max.)||24.50″ (622 mm)|
|Table size||2.75″ x 18.00″ (70 x 457 mm)|
|Hold-down provision||3 T-Slots|
|Shipping Weight||50 lb. (22.7 kg)|
|Movements in addition to X-, Y- and Z-axes||Headstock rotation 90° left/right|
|Column pivot||90° forward/back|
|Column swing||90° left/right|
|Column travel||(in/out) 5.5″ (140 mm)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz. Click here for motor specifications|
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
*Overall dimensions include motor and speed control
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 8580/8581 CNC Deluxe Mill to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
|5000 (5100)||5400 (5410)||2000 (2010)||5800 (5810)|
(table to spindle)
|8.00″ (203 mm)||8.00″ (203 mm)||9.00″ (229 mm)||14.00″ (356 mm)|
|Throat (no spacer)||2.25″ (50 mm)||2.25″ (50 mm)||Adjustable||Adjustable|
|Throat (w/ headstock spacer)||Optional||3.50″ (90 mm)||Adjustable||Adjustable|
|Travel: X-axis (with stop)||8.65″ (220 mm)||8.65″ (220 mm)||8.65″ (220 mm)||13.65″ (347 mm)|
|Travel: Y-axis||3.00″ (76 mm)||5.00″ (127 mm)||7.00″ (178 mm)||11.00″ (279 mm)|
|Travel: Z-axis||6.25″ (159 mm)||6.25″ (159 mm)||5.38″ (137 mm)||9.38″ (238 mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)||.405″ (10 mm)||.405″ (10 mm)||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4-16 T.P.I.||3/4-16 T.P.I.||3/4-16 T.P.I.||3/4-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse||#1 Morse||#1 Morse||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||.0005″ or less||.0005″ or less||.0005″ or less||.0005″ or less|
|Handwheel graduations||.001″ (.01 mm)||.001″ (.01 mm)||.001″ (.01 mm)||.001″ (.01 mm)|
|Handwheel Type||Standard Handwheels||Zero Adjustable Handwheels||Zero Adjustable Handwheels||Zero Adjustable Handwheels|
spindle speed range
|70 to 2800 RPM||70 to 2800 RPM||70 to 2800 RPM||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Width overall||14.75″ (375 mm||15.00″ (381 mm)||15.00″ (381 mm)||20.00 (508 mm)|
|Depth overall||11.75″ (298 mm)||14.00″ (356 mm)||22.25″ (565 mm)||23.13″ (588 mm)|
|Height overall (Max.)||20.75″ (527 mm)||20.75″ (527 mm)||23.38″ (568 mm)||24.50″ (622 mm)|
|Table size||2.75″ x 13.00″
(70 mm x 330 mm)
|2.75″ x 13.00″
(70 mm x 330 mm)
|2.75″ x 13.00″
(70 mm x 330 mm)
|2.75″ x 18.00″
(70 x 457 mm)
|Hold-down provision||2 T-slots||2 T-slots||2 T-slots||3 T-slots|
|Shipping weight||33 lb (15.0 kg)||36 lb (16.3 kg)||38 lb (17.2 kg)||50 lb. (22.7 kg)|
|Movements in addition
to X-, Y- and Z-axes
|Column rotation||N/A||N/A||(90° L/R)||N/A|
|Column pivot||N/A||N/A||(90° Fwd/Bk)||(90° Fwd/Bk)|
|Column travel||N/A||N/A||(In/Out) 5.5″ (140 mm)||(In/Out) 5.5″ (140 mm)|
|Input voltage||100 to 240 VAC, 50 or 60 Hz|
|Output to motor||90 VDC|
|Current draw||.5 to 15 amps depending on load|
|No-load output shaft speed||6000 RPM (no pulley)|
|Click here for more detailed specs|
|Spindle End play (factory
adjustment of preload)
|.0002″ (.005 mm) or less, normal pulleys|
|Runout at nose||.0005″ (0.013 mm) or less|
|Bearings||Two 20 mm lifetime lubricated ball bearings with adjustable preload|
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 11 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 2-3 working days for domestic orders and 4-5 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.