17″ Ball Screw Lathe
Orders have a 2-3 week lead time
Use the selections in the drop-down menus below to configure your machine.
(For more information on the configuration options and accessory packages please see the options tab below)
The ball screw lathe design is a reimagined version of our popular 17″ 4400-series lathe. The lathe has a new solid aluminum base, which creates a very rigid assembly, a beefed-up saddle to accommodate the ball screws, a larger 8″ crosslide, and #23 NEMA frame stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings.
Ball Leadscrew Specifications
- Rolled Ball Screw with BSH Nut
- 10mm Diameter, 2mm Lead
- C7 Accuracy*, P1 Preload
*C7 accuracy has a linear tolerance of 50 micrometers / 300mm or .002″ / 12.0″.
The ball screws are only available in metric, so the numeric graduations on the handwheel dials are 2mm per revolution and .02mm per line.
Connecting your CNC-Ready Lathe to a Controller
Once you have the machine, you will need to attach stepper motors, a CNC driver, and a CNC controller. Sherline offers the following options to connect your ball screw lathe to a CNC controller:
- Stepper motors–High-torque (P/N 67126, recommended) or standard (P/N 67127)
- CNC controllers w/4-axis CNC Driver box–MASSO (P/N 8780) or Linux CNC computer (P/N 8761)*
*NOTE: A mouse and keyboard are included with the Linux PC. You must provide a USB dongle and wireless keyboard and mouse set with the MASSO controller.
Use the selections in the drop-down menus above to configure your machine. See the Options tab above for more specifications on each option and accessory packages.
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller*
- Standard headstock: #1 Morse taper with 3/4 x 16 external spindle thread (Option to upgrade headstock above)
- The base is 28″ x 5″ x 1/2″ solid 6061 aluminum plate, and the headstock and tailstock mounts are solid, machined 6061 aluminum
- The lathe saddle is hard anodized for long wear, and internal oiling ports are incorporated to keep the lathe bed dovetail areas lubricated
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 8.0″ (203 mm) crosslide (Option to upgrade to a 13″ crosslide above)
- 28″ (711 mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431 mm) between centers
- 2.5″ (63 mm) resettable “zero” handwheel for the leadscrew, one 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel for the crosslide feed screw, and a 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the tailstock. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars*
- A 3/8″ Insert Holder Tool Post (P/N 7600) with a 55° RH Carbide Tool Holder (P/N 2256)
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Optional limit switches***
* Not included with a lathe without motor and speed control.
**CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
***The limit switches were designed to work with our Sherline/MASSO CNC Controller, but you can connect them to any controller that is configured to work with our limit switches, such as Mach 3, Mach 4, etc. See related products below for limit switch product page.
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
|Swing Over Bed||5.97″ (151 mm)|
|Swing Over Carriage||1.75″ (45 mm)|
|Distance Between Centers||17.00″ (430 mm)|
|Hole Through Spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle Nose Thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle Nose Taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle Runout of Morse Taper||.0005″ or less|
|Travel of Crosslide||4.6″ (116 mm)|
|Travel of Z-axis||14.45″ (367 mm)|
|Tailstock Spindle Taper||#0 Morse|
|Protractor Graduations||0° to 45° by 5°|
|Handwheel Graduations||.02 mm|
|Length Overall||33″ (838 mm) (Add 4.625″ to each axis for a high-torque stepper motor)|
|Width Overall||10.375″ (264 mm) (Add 4.625″ to each axis for a high-torque stepper motor)|
|Height Overall||10.00″ (254 mm)|
|Base||28″ x 5″ x .5″ (711 mm x 127 mm x 12.7 mm)|
|Shipping Weight||Base CNC-ready model: 47 lbs. (21.4 kg)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control or program controlled with the Sherline/MASSO controller|
6840 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe
Click on the link for the exploded view of the 6840 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe to help identify replacement parts.
If you are still uncertain, please call our customer service representatives for help with this item.
We offer two types of 3D object files: .igs and .stp.
- To view .igs files you need an IGS viewer. CLICK HERE to download a FREE IGS viewer.
- To view .stp files you need an STP viewer. CLICK HERE to use Autodesk’s FREE A360* online file viewer. STP is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by CAD software. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data. STP files are used to store 3D image data in an ASCII format, following the standards defined in ISO 10303-21: Clear Text Encoding of the Exchange Structure.
- Each 3D file format has been compressed into a single .rar file to save file space. Click on the .rar file link below to download it to your computer.
- Extract the .rar file to the drive location of your choice.
- If your system cannot decompress RAR files, CLICK HERE to download WinRAR software.
- Open the .igs file using the IGS Viewer, or open the .stp file using the A360 Autodesk online viewer.
*NOTE: There are also other free STP viewers that can be downloaded directly to your computer.
4620 CNC-Ready Ball Screw Lathe
CLICK HERE to download the 3D RAR file.
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 9 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 7 working days for domestic orders and 14 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.