This machine is based on our 14″ 2000-series mill. The 14″ mill base with ball screws comes with all new saddles developed for the ball screws. The X/Y-mill saddle has been beefed up to accommodate the larger ball screws, and it has an electroless nickel/Teflon coating. This coating offers a hard surface that is rustproof, while the Teflon provides a friction coefficient of .1-.2u for smoother movement of the saddle and the table.
The new ball screw design for the column saddle reduces the overall Z-axis travel by 1.4″. Because the ball nut does not allow the column saddle to move down as far as the old style column saddle, we recommend upgrading to the 15″ mill column. This will allow you to move the headstock closer to the top of the mill table. However, you will still lose 1.4″ of overall travel in the Z-axis.
The Z-axis column bed on the 14″ ball screw mill is mounted directly to the swing arm with an arm mount, unlike the 2000 Deluxe mill that utilizes a movable clamping disk. This effectively eliminates the side-to-side rotational axis of the column bed.
The Axes of Movement of a Sherline 14″ Ball Screw Mill
The table left/right movement is referred to as the X-axis. The table in/out movement is the Y-axis. Headstock up/down movement is referred to as the Z axis. The headstock can also be rotated on its saddle on Sherline mills (#4), the column ram can be moved in and out (#5), and the Z-axis column can be tilted forward and back (#6).
- Rolled Ball Screw with BSH Nut
- 10mm Diameter, 2mm Lead
- C7 Accuracy*, P1 Preload
*C7 accuracy has a linear tolerance of 50 micrometers / 300mm or .002″ / 12.0″.
The 86820 CNC Package Includes:
- 14″ mill fitted ball screws and all new saddles developed for the ball screws.
- 3 Hi-Torque Stepper motors with couplings and mounts.
- A computer with 4-Axis Drive Box and Ubuntu Linux-based OS with LinuxCNC software preinstalled
- Keyboard and mouse
- Computer cables to the X-, Y-, and Z-axes are 69″ in length
- Instruction and utility CD. The CD includes complete instructions, and several free utilities to translate CAD files or TrueType fonts into G-code.
- A blank 4GB USB flash drive is also included
- 1-year warranty on all components for non-production use. 90-day warranty on CNC and computer-related components.
You supply only a monitor.
Standard equipment for the model 86820 CNC Mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 14″ base
- Electroless nickel/Teflon coated mill saddle
- 13.0″ (330 mm) x 2.75″ (70 mm) table with two T-slots
- 11″ standard mill column bed (Option to upgrade to a 15″ mill column bed with nickel/Teflon coating is available)
- Stepper-motor mounts with high-torque couplings
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
*NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
- ¼” Drill Chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z-axis to help keep critical parts lubricated.
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew
- Accordion way cover
Always wear safety glasses when operating machine tools.
(table to spindle)
|6.875″ (176 mm)|
|2.25″ (50 mm)|
(w/ headstock spacer)
|3.50″ (90 mm)|
|Travel, “X” Axis||7.8” (198.1mm)|
|Travel, “Y” Axis||5.00″ (127mm)|
|Travel, “Z” Axis||Standard 11″ bed: 4.85″ (123mm); Optional 15″ bed 8.85″ (225mm)|
|Hole through spindle||.405″ (10 mm)|
|Spindle nose thread||3/4″-16 T.P.I.|
|Spindle nose taper||#1 Morse|
|Spindle runout of Morse taper||.0005″ or less|
|Handwheel graduations||.02 mm|
|Electronically controlled spindle speed range||70 to 2800 RPM|
|Width Overall*||14.75″ (375 mm)|
|Depth Overall*||Base footprint: 13.75″ (379 mm); With fully extended brass leadscrew cover: 16.75 (425.50 mm)|
|Height Overall (Max.)*||Standard 11″ bed: 20.75″ (498.5 mm); Optional 15″ bed: 24.75″ (600 mm)|
|Table size||2.75″ x 13.00″ (70 x 330 mm)|
|Hold-down provision||2 T-Slots|
|Shipping Weight||60 lb. (28.2 kg)|
|Movements in addition
to X-, Y- and Z-axes
|Headstock rotation (90° left/right)|
|Motor||90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
|Spindle Speed Range||70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control|
*Overall dimensions include motor and speed control
We do not charge a flat rate for shipping because of the variations in weight for our products. Instead we charge you what the shipping company charges us. Our website uses a shipping calculator based on the daily rates for USPS and UPS based on the weight and destination of the shipment. You can also have us use your UPS/FedEx account number to charge your shipping to. Just enter it in the appropriate box on the checkout page.
Domestic orders are shipped Monday – Friday. Expedited orders must be placed by 11 am PST to ship the same day.
Orders shipping ground have a processing time of 2-3 working days for domestic orders and 4-5 working days for international orders. Click here for more information on our shipping and order policies.
Most merchandise can be returned within 30 day of the purchase date. A refund will be issued to the original form of payment at the original selling price. View our complete return policy and/or start your return online here.